Invasive Alien Species
Species Name: Rivina humilis
- Family Name:
- Erect, sometimes woody at the base, 40-100 cm tall. Leaves ovate-oblong, from very obtuse, rounded or sub-cordate base, long acuminate, acute, on midrib beneath, 4-12 cm x 1.5 -4 cm; petiole 1-3 cm. Flower racemes erect, 4-10 cm, sparingly patently short-hairy; bracts small, during anthesis 2-3 mm, afterwards 3-4 mm; tepals during anthesis white or suffused with pink, 2-2.5 mm long. Fruit berry, bright red, 4 mm diam. Seeds patently shortly pubescent.
- Invaded Habitat:
- Hedgerows, foot of brick walls, waste places, thickets, kampong border and oil palm plantations.
- Known in Java since 1858) as ornamental plant and naturalized. Recently in North Sumatra is an important weed in oil palm plantations.
- Slightly shaded localities. In Java at 1-1450 m altitude.
- Backer , C. A. & R. C. Bakhuizen Van Den Brink. 1963. Flora of Java. N.V. P. Noordhoff. Groningen, Netherlands. Vol. I.
- Tjitrosoedirdjo, Sri S. 2004. Potensi Rivina humilis (Phytolaccaceae) sebagai Gulma Baru di Sumatera Utara. Prosiding Konferensi Himpunan Ilmu Gulma Indonesia, Bogor, 15-17 Juli 2003 (in Indonesian)