Invasive Alien Species
Species Name: Panicum maximum
- Family Name:
- Panicum hirsutissimum Steud.
Panicum polygamum Swartz non Forsskal
- Tropical Africa
- Strongly tufted perennial grass with erect culms, fibrous roots and short rhizomes, 0.8 - 2.5 m . Stem culms compressed, glabrous, filled with white pith, older culms hollow at base. Leaf sheath are mostly shorter than the internodes, smooth or sparsely hairy; ligule 1-3 mm, cilliate; blades linear, finely pointed, 40-105 cm x 10-30 mm, uppermost often smaller. Inflorescence a large terminal panicle, diffuse, 70 cm long with one to many stiffly ascending whorled branches; spikelet borne on filiform branches, contain two floret each, awn-less, oblong, 3-4 mm, smooth and tinged with purple; the upper empty glume 5-nerved as long as the spikelet, upper lemma oblong, finely transversely wrinkled. Caryopsis finely pitted and wrinkled, greenish white, 3 mm long.
- Invaded Habitat:
- Plantation crops, pasture, road sides, waste places.
- Distributed throughout Indonesia.
- In Java often cultivated for cut-fodder. The grass grows on a wide range of soil types but does not tolerate severe droughts and water-logging. The grass spread slowly and forms dense tussocks, displacing native grasslands and other vegetation, thereby reducing native plant species richness. It is a prolific seed producer and the grass is resistant to fires.
- Auld, B.A. and R.W. Medd. 1987. Weeds. An Illustrated Botanical Guide to the Weeds of Australia. Department of Agriculture. New South Wales.
- Backer , C. A. & R. C. Bakhuizen Van Den Brink. 1965. Flora of Java. N.V. P. Noordhoff. Groningen, Netherlands
- Lazarides, M. and B. Hince (eds). 1993. CSIRO Handbook of Economic Plants of Australia. CSIRO Publications. Victoria, Australia.
- Mannetje,L. and R.M. Jones (eds). 1992. PROSEA. Plant Resources of South East Asia No. 4. Forages. Prosea Foundation, Bogor, Indonesia and Pudoc-DLO, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- Moody, K., C.E. Munror, R.T. Lubigan and E.C. Paller. 1984. Major weeds of the Philippines. Weed Science Society of the Philippines, UPLB College, Laguna, Philippines.
- Soenartiningsih and Koesnang. 1992. Kajian Inang Alternatif Virus Mosaik Kedelai Pada Beberapa Gulma Melalui Uji Serologi. Dalam Prosiding Konferensi HIGI XI. Ujung Pandang.
- Weber, E. 1960. Invasive plant species of the world. CABI Publishing. CABI International, Wallingford. Oxon OC 19 8DE, UK.