SEAMEO BIOTROP believes that conservation of the region's biodiversity is everyone's responsibility. Recognizing the unique and rich biological resources we have and understanding their real values are critical considerations toward having more meaningful conservation efforts. Photo documentation is one practical way towards actualizing this purpose. It is for this reason that SEAMEO BIOTROP is launching this regional biodiversity conservation photo competition.
This annual competition is among the special initiatives of SEAMEO BIOTROP under its 9th Five-Year Development Plan (2012-2017). In general, the competition aims to usher greater public awareness and support to biodiversity conservation efforts in Southeast Asia. Different themes will be featured for every competition year that would build upon each other towards achieving the contest objective. Other than generating a database of quality photographs of the region's biodiversity, the contest is expected to surface biodiversity conservation concerns from the public's perspectives that need more policy and research interventions and financial support from governments and development organizations.
SEAMEO BIOTROP is launching the competition this year with the theme "People and Biodiversity" that emphasizes many important uses of biodiversity in peoples' lives (mainstreaming biodiversity into economic, socio-cultural, and environmental aspects).
Categories of Participants
The contest is open to all nationals and residents of Southeast Asian countries who will be divided into two categories as follow:
Student: 13 – 17 years old
General: above 17 years old
- Each contestant must complete and submit photograph entry and explanation about the photgraph through http://photo-contest.biotrop.org. A contestant could submit at most five (5) photograph entries accompanied by individual application forms each.
- Each photo must be followed by a brief explanation about what the photo is described and why the photo is considered to be within the theme (in English, max. 500 characters, including spaces).
- In entering this competition, all contestants must acknowledge and guarantee that their photograph entries are their original works and do not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph. The contestants must also guarantee that their photograph entries have not been submitted to previous photo competitions, not received yet an award or recognition in another photography competition and not been used in any publications (printed and electronic).
- Image of captive animals, preserved animals and artificial animals/plants are prohibited and ineligible.
- The photo competition centers on the theme:
"People and Biodiversity": mainstreaming biodiversity into economic, socio-cultural, and environmental aspects that emphasizes many important uses of biodiversity in peoples' lives.
- BIOTROP shall keep all data entered by the applicants in the Entry Form as confidential. However, applicants must agree that such personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, shared, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of this Contest.
- All contestants must comply with the following photograph requirements:
- All entries must be original. Photos must not be digitally altered and/or enhanced in any way other than simple cropping. Any major image manipulation (e.g. over or under color saturation, dual tones, etc.) on the original photograph will disqualify the entry.
- All entries must be in digital format, thus, only online entries will be eligible. Each entry must be within 5 megabytes, in JPEG/JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels either in a horizontal or vertical image.
- The photograph must not contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable element based on the standards of BIOTROP.
- All photographs must be in color. Black and white photos will be disqualified.
- Photograph entries and application forms must be submitted through website: http://photo-contest.biotrop.org before 5pm (GMT +7) on 15 October 2016.
- BIOTROP has the right to examine the original photograph/source material to confirm compliance with the requirements above and officially accepts or disqualifies entries.
- BIOTROP shall have the right to store the winning entries and finalists in its database and also use them for scientific and publication purposes.
Selection and Judging Processes
Winning entries will be judged according to three criteria: (1) Relevance to the theme 40%; (2) Photographic quality including technical quality 40%; and (3) Creativity 20%.
There will be two rounds of selection process. For the first round, The Panel of Judges will collectively select top 10 entries based on the above mentioned criteria. Then, all top ten entries shall be subjected for a second round of judging. The Panel of Judges will collectively select the first, second, and third winners from the round one entries.
Decisions of the Panel of Judges are final and binding.
Ir Gunawan Wibisana, MSP, MM, LRPS, PSA, Professional Photographer.
Ir Arbain Rambey, KOMPAS Photographer.
Cash prizes and certificates shall be awarded to the winning entries. The cash prizes are as follows:
|Prizes / Category||General||Student||Most Favorite*|
|First||USD 400||USD 200||USD 50|
|Second||USD 300||USD 150|
|Third||USD 200||USD 100|
*one most favorite photo will be selected based on the most liked photo chosen by all staff of SEAMEO BIOTROP on facebook page of photo-contest without mentioning the name of the photographer.
BIOTROP will accept submission of photo entries starting 08 August to 15 October 2016 through website http://photo-contest.biotrop.org.
Announcement of Winners
Winners will be notified by email by 24 October 2016. Winners list will be announced at photo contest (photo-contest.biotrop.org) and BIOTROP (www.biotrop.org) websites.
Right to Cancel or Suspend the Contest
BIOTROP has the right to cancel or suspend the contest to infection by computer virus/bugs, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the Centre's control that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest. BIOTROP would inform all participants about the cancellation/suspension and instructions on how to proceed with the Contest if problems could be addressed.