Oct 31 2013
SEARCA: Photo Contest with the theme "Southeast Asia in the Quest for Food Security"
Southeast Asians in the Quest for Food Security
DEADLINE OF ENTRIES 31 OCT 2013
First Place USD 500
Second Place USD 300
Third Place USD 200
People's Choice USD 100
- The photo contest is open to all Southeast Asian nationals except SEARCA employees and immediate family members.
- The photo contest centers on the theme: “Southeast Asia in Quest of Food Security.”
- All entries must be submitted online via the Photo Contest 2013 online submission portal. Each contestant may submit as many entries as s/he wants, provided that these have not been submitted to previous photo contests or published elsewhere (print or electronic).
- Only colored photos will be considered, black and white photos will be disqualified.
- -Entries must be digital, either JPEG or TIFF format and at least 3,000 pixels wide for a horizontal image or 3,000 pixels tall for a vertical image at 300 dpi. There is no maximum file size or resolution as long as it can be uploaded via the online submission portal.
- All entries must be original. Photos must not be digitally altered and/or enhanced in any way other than simple cropping.
- Each entry should include the following details in English: name of photographer, country, brief statement/description of the photo with at least two sentences, where the photo was taken (include town/municipality, province/state, and country), when it was taken (complete date), and the camera used.
Submission of entries to the contest indicates full permission granted to SEARCA to use the photographs, with proper credit to the photographer, in Center endeavors in knowledge packaging, sharing, and advocacy related to SEARCA’s mandate.
Relevance to the theme 40%
Technical quality (clarity, use of tones and color, photographic composition) 30%
Impact (regional flavor) 30%
WHAT TO CAPTURE
The SEARCA PHOTO CONTEST 2013 will award entries that best capture the efforts that Southeast Asians do to ensure that there is affordable, nutritious, and safe food on our tables. We are looking for photographs that emphasize all the livelihood activities along the food supply chain—from scientists who develop agricultural technologies to input dealers (banks, seed dealers, pesticide and fertilizer dealers); to farmers and fishers; to transporters of harvests to markets; to food processors; to food sellers and distributors; and finally to consumers—that contribute to a food-secure Southeast Asia.
Photos of farmers and fishers, of people carrying their harvest or animals and vehicles transporting crops to markets, of people processing food for personal consumption or for selling, and of people buying food and eating them, are encouraged. Images that highlight new agricultural technologies that are being applied to ensure that food is nutritious and safe are also welcome. We also encourage photographs that show food insecurity or malnutrition. These are images that will bring home the message that there is an urgent need for a more united and concerted effort to address food security in the region.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS
Winners will be notified via e-mail. SEARCA has the right to offer the prize to the next winning entry if and only if the winner does not initiate any contact by 20 December 2013.
Winners are requested to be present to receive their awards on the week of SEARCA’s 47th anniversary during the opening of the exhibit of winning entries. They will be expected to shoulder the cost of their travel to claim their prizes. Winners who are not able to attend the ceremonies shall notify SEARCA on how organizers may send them their prizes.
The winning photos will also be showcased on the Virtual Photo Exhibit on the SEARCA website, SEARCA Facebook and the LED Board.
For further information click here